We all have things that annoy us. Some have more than others. I think sometimes I have too much internal rage, but it’s mostly because I don’t like people. If I like you, you are special, because I hate everyone. I say this in a joking kind of way, but at the same time, it’s not too far off. I’m an introvert who’s socially awkward, and I’ve had to get good at faking normal because that’s what society expects. So with that, here’s my next challenge (slash rant)…
5 Pet Peeves
1. Obnoxious eaters ~ And this can mean a few things, like talking with food in your mouth, loud chewing, slurping loudly, etc. I don’t think it’s too hard to insert food into your mouth, close your lips around it, and chew quietly. We are not cows, and when you eat properly, you don’t inhale as much air, ergo less gas is created. It’s really a win win.
2. People with no spatial awareness ~ I understand we don’t all have places to go or people to see, and it’s nice to saunter around town, but when you are window shopping or walking at the speed of a glacier, do so while paying attention to those of us that have a schedule to keep. Oh and don’t stop suddenly. Ever. Especially at the top of an escalator. And I think all of this this needs to be taught to kids early on. Nothing bothers me more than a kid who’s walking around like nobody else is there, constantly getting in the way or even worse running in front of or around people like they are a pin ball. I get that kids will wander, and some are too young to understand the concept of personal space, but start teaching them young to be aware!
3. “Holier-than-thou’s” ~ People are passionate beings. We like what we like, love what we love, and will fight for what’s important to us. But then you get those people who take it to the next level. The best example I can use is one that’s becoming more and more popular: vegans. I may not be the most educated person on the subject, but I have been learning more and more about it, and the positive impact being vegan has on our planet. But if you are a vegan and you are constantly shoving it in my face and down my throat that meat eaters are the scum of the earth, and that I’m worse than Adolf Hitler if I don’t do every possible thing ever to save mother earth, you have become preachy and annoying and I am now less likely to listen to you. See how that backfired? If you weren’t acting like you are 1000x better than me, and just took the time to explain why you choose to be a vegan and it’s positive effects, I might be more inclined to listen.
4. Inconsiderate people ~ I run into these kinds of people all too often in my line of work. I am a massage therapist, and since that technically falls into the service industry, some people think it gives them the right to treat you like poop. I am not your servant, I am providing you with a service. We get people who are chronically late but still demand they get their full treatment time, people who don’t bother showing up and think it’s ok to not pay the cancellation fee (RMT’s often don’t get paid if you are a no show… how would you feel if you were at work for an hour and since one person didn’t care to come, you no longer get paid?), people telling us how to do our jobs or saying that we don’t know what we’re talking about when we tell them we can’t do something. I went to school for 2 years, and have been doing this job for 6 years, have some respect for me as a professional! And inconsiderate people don’t just affect me at work, they are everywhere. Can we just agree that we are all human and should follow the golden rule: Do unto others as you would have done unto you.
5. Irresponsible pet owners ~ PICK UP YOUR DOGS POO AND THROW IT OUT! IT’S NOT THAT HARD! Oh and those jerks that get a pet, realize it takes work (or “we have to move and can’t take the dog/cat/whatever with us”… it IS possible to move with an animal!), then get rid of said pet. COME ON!